Last month marked the one-year anniversary of Thu Phan’s tragic death. She was killed while crossing Market Street at 7th in her wheelchair. A ban on left turns onto Market Street had already been implemented to help mitigate the dangers of the intersection with an exemption covering City vehicles under certain duties.
The family became active in fighting for safety improvements after their catastrophic loss. Thu Phan’s sister reached out to Human Streets, Walk San Francisco, and San Francisco Bay Area Families for Safe Streets. Walk San Francisco reports that since the catastrophic pedestrian accident that took Thu Phan’s life, Walk San Francisco and their Vision Zero Coalition have worked to address the conditions that lead to her death.
As a result of these pedestrian advocacy efforts, San Francisco has now implemented:
- Leading Pedestrian Intervals (LPIs): walk signals to provide people crossing with a head start at six intersections along Market, including 7th;
- More visible turn restriction signage at Market & 7th;
- A City Administrator’s policy memo, which explicitly states that City drivers are not exempt from turn restrictions (a key factor in Thu Phan’s death);
- A new, required driver training and education program for all City staff that specifically highlights how to drive safely around seniors and people with disabilities.
This last safety improvement deserves an extra comment. Seniors are five times more at risk of a serious/fatal injury as pedestrians than younger adults according to information gathered by Walk San Francisco.
Here are a few more statistics that may make you realize the importance of a pedestrian accident lawyer, or a catastrophic injury attorney for when a loved one is fatally or catastrophically injured by a vehicle:
- In 2015, 5,376 people were killed in pedestrian/motor vehicle crashes – nearly 15 people per day (NHTSA)
- California is the state with the highest number of pedestrian fatalities (NHTSA)
- 60% of all San Francisco’s traffic deaths are people walking – 4X the national average (Walk SF)
If you or a loved one is hit by a vehicle, know your rights and speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in San Francisco or Paso Robles. At Rahman Law PC, we offer personalized attention to every client in a supportive and respectful way. We have offices in San Francisco and Paso Robles, California.